I’ve been a little quiet around here for the last couple weeks because
- I just moved ~ from a 24ft travel trailer into a 3 bed 2 bath house with my sister
- Lots of time taken getting settled in and unpacking
- and I’ve been in some sort of funk ~ not doing my crafty stuff or blog stuff, just wanting to veg out with stupid computer games
- I have gotten a couple little projects off my to-do list – YEAH!!
- and this last Saturday, I canned salsa
My dad grows a BIG garden every year and as usual about this time of year is over-run with tomatoes. So I made up a batch of fresh salsa (not cooked), using tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers and onions from his garden, plus some spices. I gave him these 5 jars (3 cup size) on Sunday and last night he told me 2 were already empty. These were not “canned”, just left fresh and refrigerated – they will be “gone” within a week.
I also canned a batch of salsa – I use the same recipe, but I fire roasted the tomatoes, peppers and onions first. Peeled and chopped everything up, added seasonings, cooked and water-bathed it.
I ended up with making 48 cups of salsa – 15 fresh and 33 canned – equivalent to 24 pints. And I have to say, it is so much nicer having a full size kitchen to can in versus a small trailer size kitchen!!